About the Lemberg Lab
Research in the Lemberg Laboratory focuses on the study of protein homeostasis mechanisms that act in the plane of cellular membranes. Our team is particularly interested in the physiological role and regulation of intramembrane proteases and transmembrane dislocases, unravelling the mechanisms to extract proteins from the membrane and coordinate their degradation by the cytosolic ubiquitin proteasome system. Our research direction will reveal a comprehensive understanding of these protein homeostasis mechanisms and shed light on potential targets for therapeutic intervention strategies to overcome the effects of protein homeostasis malfunction in disorders ranging from Parkinson’s disease to neuropathies.
News & Events
Biochemist and cell biologist Marius Lemberg investigates intramembrane proteolysis and protein homeostasis mechanisms in health and disease.
- Knopf JD, Landscheidt N, Pegg CL, Schulz BL, Kühnle N, Wei CW, Huck S, Lemberg MK. Intramembrane protease RHBDL4 cleaves oligosaccharyltransferase subunits to target them for ER-associated degradation. J. Cell Sci. 133:jcs243790, 2020.
- Dederer V, Khmelinskii A, Huhn A, Okreglak V, Knop M, Lemberg MK. Cooperation of mitochondrial and ER factors in quality control of tail-anchored proteins. eLife 8:e45506, 2019.
- Yücel SS, Stelzer W, Lorenzoni A, Wozny M, Langosch D, Lemberg MK. The metastable XBP1u transmembrane domain defines determinants for intramembrane proteolysis by signal peptide peptidase. Cell Rep. 26:3087-3099, 2019.
- Meissner C, Lorenz H, Hehn B, Lemberg MK. Intramembrane protease PARL defines a negative regulator of PINK1- and PARK2/Parkin-dependent mitophagy. Autophagy. 11:1484-1498, 2015.
- Avci D, Fuchs S, Schrul B, Fukumori A, Breker M, Frumkin I, Chen C, Biniossek ML, Kremmer E, Schilling O, Steiner H, Schuldiner M, Lemberg MK. The yeast ER-intramembrane protease Ypf1 refines nutrient sensing by regulating transporter abundance. Mol. Cell. 56: 630-640, 2014.
- Chen C, Malchus NS, Hehn B, Stelzer W, Avci D, Langosch D, Lemberg MK. Signal peptide peptidase functions in ERAD to cleave the unfolded protein response regulator XBP1u. EMBO J. 33: 2492-2506, 2014.
- Fleig L, Bergbold N, Sahasrabudhe P, Geiger B, Kaltak L, Lemberg MK. Ubiquitin-Dependent Intramembrane Rhomboid Protease Promotes ERAD of Membrane Proteins. Mol Cell. 47: 558-569, 2012.
Research Highlight by Markus Plomann
- Nüchel J, Tauber M, Nolte JL, Mörgelin M, Türk C, Eckes B, Demetriades C, Plomann M. An mTORC1-GRASP55 signaling axis controls unconventional secretion to reshape the extracellular proteome upon stress. Mol Cell. 2021.
- Dederer V, Lemberg MK. Transmembrane dislocases: a second chance for protein targeting. Trends Cell Biol. 2021.
- Lemberg MK, Strisovsky K. Maintenance of organellar protein homeostasis by ER-associated degradation and related mechanisms. Mol. Cell 81: 2507-2519, 2021.
- Kuehnle N, Dederer V, Lemberg MK. Intramembrane proteolysis at a glance: from signalling to protein degradation. J. Cell Sci. 132: jcs.217745, 2019.